Frequently Asked Questions


What is Bodily Injury (BI) Liability Coverage?

If you are found to be at fault in an accident, Bodily Injury Liability is the coverage that pays for the other parties’ injuries and medical treatments.

Am I required to carry Bodily Injury Liability (BI) Coverage?

No. The State of Florida does not required BI Coverage. However, it is highly recommended.

What is the difference between Comprehensive and Collision Coverage?

Comprehensive: Comprehensive Insurance covers damage to your vehicle as a result of something that is out of your control such as Acts of God, theft, vandalism, hit and run, etc.

Collision: Collision Insurance covers repairs to your own vehicle in the event of an accident.

Am I required to carry Collision and/or Comprehensive coverage?

You are not required to carry comprehensive or collision coverage. However, if your vehicle is financed then the financing company will require these coverages.

What is Uninsured Motorist (UM) and how does it protect me?

Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist (UM) covers you in the event of an accident in which the At-Fault party does not carry sufficient BI Liability Coverage. UM coverage will pay for your injuries and medical treatment.

What coverages does the State of Florida require?

Personal Injury Protect (PIP) and Property Damage Liability. A minimum of $10,000 each.

What is Personal Injury Protection (PIP – No Fault)?

Florida is considered a No Fault State. This means you do not have to be at fault to receive medical treatment in the event of a vehicle accident. Therefore, PIP is primary in any accident, each party uses their own individual PIP coverage first before Bodily Injury coverage comes into effect.

PIP includes the following coverages:

  • Injuries sustained in an accident
  • Work loss
  • Death benefit of $5,000
What is Property Damage Liability coverage?

Striking another person’s property with your vehicle.

How do I know if I’m under insured or over insured?

Insurance Solutions of Polk County can review your current insurance policy and help you determine if you are carrying the right amount of coverage for you and your family.


How does my roof affect my Insurance Premiums?

The shape and condition/age of your roof can greatly affect your premium. If your roof is newer than 2005, we would strongly recommend you get a wind mitigation report which can possibly result in additional discounts.

Can a trampoline or skateboard ramp affect my rates?

Yes it can, you should check with your current insurance agent/company before adding a trampoline or skateboard. Not all insurance companies accept these items on your property.

Do I have to have a fence or screen enclosure for my pool?

Yes. If you do not, you premium can be affected. Your premiums could increase or your coverage could be suspended/cancelled. Pools (as well as trampolines) are considered attractive nuisance and must be behind a fence or screen enclosure.

Can I get sinkhole coverage?

Yes, sinkhole coverage is offered as an endorsement to your existing homeowner’s insurance policy. It requires a sinkhole inspection report. It is usually offered with a 10% deductible. However, most standard policies cover your loss in the event a sinkhole would cause damage to your dwelling.

Can I get insurance if the property has experienced a sink hole in the past?

Yes, inspections by an engineering firm will be required to ensure the sinkhole has been repaired.

What are some key discounts available to me?
  • Age of home
  • Age of roof
  • Gated Community
  • Fire Alarm
  • Security System
  • Proximity to a fire hydrant
  • How the home was constructed
What are my responsibilities after a claim?

You are required to report any incident in a timely manner. You are also required make every effect to reduce additional damage. For example, is a window is broken, you would want to board up/cover the window to avoid any further damage such as water from rain.

Does my policy cover Equipment breakdown such as AC, Appliances, etc?

Some companies do offer this endorsement. Check with Insurance Solutions to see if this is available.

Can my homeowner’s policy cover my fine jewelry?

Yes, you have the option to schedule certain personal property items (such as jewelry, art, etc). The rule of thumb, if you have any one item in your home that is valued at over $1,500 you should consider insuring it separately. In most cases, you would need to provide a current appraisal. Contact Insurance Solutions for more information.


What do I need to do to not have to wear a helmet?

You must carry a certain amount of Medical Payments coverage on your motorcycle insurance policy to be able to ride legally without a helmet.

Is there (Personal Injury Protection) PIP on motorcycle policies?

No, PIP is not offered on most motorcycle policies. However, you do have the option to purchase medical payments coverage.

Should I carry UM (Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist) on my motorcycle policy?

Check with Insurance Solutions. Your auto policy could cover your motorcycle.

Am I required to carry motorcycle insurance?

No, however if you have financed your motorcycle, you will be required to carry comprehensive and collision.


Do I need Renters Insurance?

Renter’s insurance is not required unless your landlord or leasing office requires it. However, it is highly recommended as it protects your personal belongs as well as potential personal liability claims.

How much coverage do I need?

Insurance Solutions would recommend you cover your personal property for minimum of $20,000 and liability coverage for guests of $100,000 minimum.

What items are covered in a Renters policy?

Personal contents of your home/apartment.


Commercial FAQ’s Coming Soon!


When is Flood Insurance required?

Flood insurance IS NOT included in a standard homeowners policy. If you are required to carry flood insurance, it will be mandated by your mortgage company. Insurance Solutions can provide you with a free quote for Flood Insurance.

How do I know if I live in a Flood Zone?

There are various website to help you determine if you are in a flood zone. Contact Insurance Solutions to find out.

Does my Flood policy have to cover my dwelling as well as my personal contents?

No, your flood policy only has to cover your dwelling.

Want to Speak With an Agent?

Contact us to schedule an appoint so that you can speak with one of our agents.